Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Defending a British Breakfast: Egg and Soldiers





“I'll bet what motivated the British to colonize so much of the world is that they were just looking for a decent meal."

My guess is that Martha Harrison, the author of the quote above, never had "Egg and Soldiers" for breakfast. If she had, she might have reconsidered her sentiment.

Although initially I was hesitant to dip pieces of butter-slathered toast (aka "Soldiers") into a slightly runny egg, it turned out to be delicious. The egg tasted like cheese, and was extra wonderful with a little bit of Marmite (yes, yes, you either love it or hate it- I love it.)

This morning was my first attempt to make it myself, and it was so simple. Here's how to enjoy egg and soldiers at your own breakfast table.

Egg and Soldiers

1. Put a piece of toast in the toaster or in a warm pan on top of the range at medium high heat.

2. In a pot of boiling water, place the number of eggs you're planning to cook. I cooked mine this morning for 3 minutes and 30 seconds. It was runnier than what my sweet friend SM served, but it worked well for dipping and tasted great!

3. Pull the egg out of the water, place in an egg cup and slice the top open with a serrated knife. Note: if you, like me, do not have egg cups, any small jar or glass with an opening that holds the egg upright will work. My egg this morning sat in a small empty jelly jar I washed and saved a couple weeks ago. No shame, friends!

4. Cut the toast into strips thin enough to fit through the opening at the top of the egg.

5. Serve and eat immediately while both egg and toast are hot, and accompany it with a cup of good tea. It is perfect for a rainy spring morning.

As a long time egg-avoider, I can honestly say it was perhaps the most wonderful way to eat an egg.

Oh, and if you think the dishes SM uses are super cute, you're right! Check them out for yourself, thankfully Emma Bridgewater has started shipping in the United States.

Happy Breakfast-ing,

-Domestic in the District

1 comment:

  1. as usual an enjoyable read with some good ideas! love ya :) SQ

    ReplyDelete