Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Surplus of Summer Fruits: What To Do?

My dear husband often travels to the West Coast for work, and is ever-so-thoughtful to bring back a plethora of produce when he gets home. This time, he returned with five boxes of grapes, pluots, and peaches. Our fridge and limited counter space were promptly overtaken by the abundance of sun-sweetened fruit, and I began dreaming of ways to use it all up before it went bad. Here's what I came up with:

1. Peach and Pluot Salsa/Chutney with green peppers, red onions, and jalapeno. It's been good on chips or grilled chicken.


































2. Peach and Pluot Pie. Maybe it sounds gross, but it wasn't. Plus, I made my own pie crust for the first time, and it was really fun. I will never again purchase a crust from the store now that I know how incredibly easy it is... so take that Pillsbury. I've got your number.











3. Peach, Pluot, and Grape delivery to our friends. We often go for walks in the evenings, so we thought it would be fun to take along some fruit and deliver it to friends who live nearby! It was a really fun excuse to drop by to see friends. My favorite part of the evening came after visiting with our friend E, we walked up the stairs from her basement apartment and were back on the sidewalk when we heard her open her door and shout, "This is the best peach I have EVER eaten!!" We both laughed, because we knew exactly how she felt. The fruit was so fresh and sweet and delicious. We've been eating it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.


4. Although I haven't done it yet, I'm hoping to try poaching some of the peaches in red wine for dessert one night. I'll report back if it goes well or not. Wish me luck!

Even after all of this, there is still quite a bit of fruit left, so I'd love to hear your recommendations on how else we can use it up!

Thankful Floyd Zaiger invented Pluots,
-Domestic in the District

No comments:

Post a Comment