Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blanche: More Than Just A Name

This past week I had the opportunity to try my hand at blanching vegetables for a beet root and goat cheese salad with caper dressing. I blanched beet bulbs, beet leaves, and green beans... and I loved it! The salad was fresh and the vegetables were crisp.

Additionally, the next day I roasted the left over beets and green beans with onions, garlic, and a bit of fresh ground salt, pepper, and fennel seeds in the oven. It was delicious, and fit well into my love of using leftovers to create a new dish the second day.

How do you use leftovers from one meal in a new way the next day?

-Domestic in the District

1 comment:

  1. That salad looks amazing. I love beets, but rarely eat them. I don't think I've ever cooked a beet before, and I certainly haven't tried blanching vegetables. You may have just inspired me:).

    ReplyDelete